Baccarat is one of the oldest and most exciting games in the history of casinos around the world. The game derives its name from an Italian dialect where Baccara means zero or nothing. Alternatively, the game is also known as punto banco. Though initially the game could seem to be quiet difficult but Baccarat is actually very easy to learn and play. It is as simple as betting on toss of a coin. This game has three possible results: Player wins, Banker win and tie. Here “banker” is not the house. A player can bet either on his own hand or on the banker’s hand.
Varieties of Baccarat
There are three types of format available for the baccarat game:
- Big Table Baccarat
- Mini Baccarat
- Midi Baccarat
Value of Cards
Value of ace is 1. 10s, Jacks, Queens and Kings have no value. All the other cards (cards from 2 to 9) carry their own face value. Value is calculated according to the rightmost digit of the total score. For example, 4 and 3 will make a score of 7 but 5 and 8 will make a score of 3. This is because 5 and 8 will make a sum of 13 and 3 is the rightmost digit of the sum. So the possible highest score in this game is 9.
How to play
The two main bets can be placed on either the banker (Banco) or the player (Punto). The bets must be placed before the cards are dealt. In accordance to convention the player can bet either on bank or the player but the banker has to bet on the bank. The player can choose not to deal and instead pass the ‘shoe’ to the next player. If the banker wins, the shoe remains with one player but if the player wins then the shoe needs to be passed to the next player.
The banker and the player receive two cards each from the dealer. To begin with, the player holding the shoe, slides out one card and places it facing upwards in the player’s box on the table. Next the banker places one of his cards in the banker’s box on the table. The same process is repeated again for the player and banker thereby completing the first round. Therefore at the end of the first round, two cards are placed from each.
The total point is then calculated.
- If the two cards played in this round makes a total of 8 or 9 for the player or the banker then the game is declared as over. Such a game closure is termed as a natural win. The bets can be cashed out at this point.
- If the banker doesn’t reach the total of 8 or 9 and the total of the player’s card is also below 8 or 9 (i.e. 0 to 7) then the players are given a chance to draw a third card.
- The banker stands to win if his card total is 8 or 9 at this point and the player doesn’t get a chance to draw another card.
- Alternatively if the player draws no new card but the banker draws another card then the game completely depends on the next card which the player draws.
- Thereafter the total is calculated again. The player or the banker, whoever makes a total closer to 9, wins the game. When neither the player nor the banker wins or loses, a tie occurs. It is to be noted that betting on the banker’s hand could bring a commission.
Bacarrat in Canadian Online Casinos
Bacarrat is one of the most popular games in Canadian gambling circuits. It has been observed that the online version of the game has been particularly popular in the year 2014 owing to the ease and pace of the game as compared to its land-based variation. Players have been known to play multiple tables in pursuit of more real cash. Most online casinos offer lucrative bonus and special pay-out options which lure new players into playing Baccarat.